What we're making
Zesty salmon balls - this recipe is quick to prepare and kids love mixing, rolling and coating the salmon balls. Can be made with fresh, frozen or tinned salmon. Experiment with adding different herbs and whatever veggies you have to hand.
Time to prepare: 20 mins. Makes approx. 16 golf ball-sized balls
What you'll need
4 small frozen salmon fillets (approx. 360g) or x 2 tins of salmon
500g cubes sweet potato
Juice & zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
1 handful of fresh chives, diced
1 garlic bulb, crushed
3 spring onions, very finely sliced
Salt & pepper to season
2 handfuls of home-made wholemeal breadcrumbs (blitz 2 slices in food processor or leave to go stale and grate)
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Drizzle of olive oil
How to do it
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Simmer sweet potato on hob for 10/15 mins until soft. Drain and mash.
- Meanwhile Grill salmon fillets on a medium heat for 5 mins (skin side down) then turn and grill for a further 5/10 mins until cooked. Leave to cool. Remove skin and flake into large bowl.
- Add lemon zest & juice, yogurt, garlic, chives, spring onions and mashed sweet potato. Season with salt & pepper.
- Mix together well with wooden spoon and cool slightly. Using a dessert spoon measure mixture onto palm and form into golf ball size ball.
- Place breadcrumbs and sesame seeds on plate and mix. Roll salmon balls onto breadcrumb mixture and place onto lined baking tray. Drizzle or spray with olive oil.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 mins, turning half-way, until browned and crispy on outside. Serve with broccoli or salad and enjoy.