What we're making
Veg loaded Shepherd's Pie. A traditional British pie that's a winner with kids. Loaded with 6 vegetables to really pack a punch. Make double and freeze for a quick and nutritious dinner. Dairy free: Use a dairy free spread instead of butter and replace milk with oat milk.
What you'll need
400-500g of lamb mince
6-8 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small swede, peeled and diced
1-2 tbsp butter
50-100ml whole milk
1tbsp olive oil
1 white onion chopped finely
2-3 carrots peeled & diced
1 leek finely chopped
Handful of green beans finely chopped.
1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper
2 x Large saucepans
Oven proof large dish
How to do it
1. Boil chopped potatoes and swede for 10-15 mins until soft. Drain them and mash with butter and milk. Kids make great mashers!
2. In another pan add olive oil and fry the onion until golden and soft.
3. Add the lamb mince and brown for 8-10 mins. Reduce temperature and add carrots, leeks, green beans and Worcestershire sauce.
4. When the carrots are soft, season with salt & pepper and pour into oven-proof dish.
5. Spread mash evenly over top with a fork and place under a hot grill to crisp the topping.