What we're making
Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce - Lovely soft meatballs or meat bombs, as children have been known to call them, are an easy to make, nutritious mid-week special that have hidden vegetables that soak up the flavour of the sauce. Great for freezing and serving with wholemeal spaghetti. Serves 4-6.
Total cost to make: approximately £8.00
What you'll need
1/2 white onion, very finely chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
450g turkey thigh mince
1 egg, beaten
2tbsp plain flour
2tsp dried oregano
Salt & Pepper
For the sauce:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion finely chopped or grated
1 celery stalk finely chopped or grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 handful of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
700ml passata sauce
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Tongs for turning the meatballs
Large mixing bowl
How to do it
1. Heat the oil in large saucepan and add the onions (for the sauce), celery and garlic and cook at low temperature, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins.
2. Add oregano, spinach, passata, stock cube and water and bring to the boil before turning heat down to a simmer (while you get the kids to help make the meatballs). Season to taste.
3. Put all meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix together gently with a wooden spoon or your hands. Add more flour if too sticky.
4. Roll mixture into balls approx 1 tbsp in size. Recipe makes about 25 balls.
5. Heat oil in frying pan and gently brown outside of meatballs. Add them to the tomato sauce pan, bring to the boil then gently simmer for 30 mins. Serve with spaghetti and salad.