What we're making
Speedy Fish Patties. Freezable and simple vegetable packed fish patties that are an enjoyable family meal served with salad or steamed carrots and broccoli.
Dairy Free: Use oat milk and vegan cheese as an alternative.
Gluten Free: Try using gluten free flour as an alternative to plain flour.
Total cost to make: approximately £5.50
What you'll need
1 packet of Tesco Fish Pie mix 400g
3 spring onions, sliced
100ml semi-skimmed milk
450g white potatoes, peeled and quartered
75g frozen peas & sweetcorn mix
Handful of fresh chopped chives
50g / handful of grated mature cheddar cheese
1 large beaten egg
Handful of plain flour for dusting
20ml Olive oil for frying
Small knob of butter
Nb. all prices are approximate and as a guide only.
Chopping board & knife
Potato masher / fork
How to do it
- Peel and cook the potatoes in boiling water until just soft. Drain well in a sieve and transfer to a bowl. Mash the potato with a small knob of butter using a potato masher or fork. Tip – kids love being in charge of the mashing whilst you set to work on stage 2. Allow mashed potatoes to cool.
- Put the frozen fish mix, chopped spring onions and milk in a saucepan and gently cook whilst occasionally stirring for about 15/20 mins until the fish is cooked through (not opaque/transparent).
- Drain the fish and spring onions in the sieve and add to mashed potato bowl. Ask kids to add the sweetcorn & peas, grated cheddar, chopped chives and a generous sprinkle of black pepper to bowl and gently mix together using hands or wooden spoon. Form into 6-8 patties. When you do this it is easier to form the patties when cool as the mixture will be very soft when warm.
- Pour the beaten egg on one plate and scatter flour on the other. Dip the patties in egg and then flour and arrange on a sheet of baking paper on a tray. Put the patties in the fridge for at least half an hour to firm up if the patties feel very soft. At this point you can freeze the patties, wrapped individually. Defrost throughly before moving onto the next stage.
- Heat a large frying pan with a generous glug of olive oil. When the oil is hot, carefully lower the fish cakes into the pan. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes or until golden brown underneath and then carefully flip them over. Fry for another 5-7 minutes or until golden on the bottom and heated all the way through.
- Serve with salad or steamed carrots and broccoli.