What we're making
Homemade Speedy Spaghetti Carbonara - This makes a cheap and tasty mid-week dinner which the whole family will love. It's quick and easy to make with egg, parmesan and bacon. It serves 4 people and takes around 15-20mins to make. Try adding frozen peas to the pasta when cooking to boost the veg content and serve with a crunchy side salad.
What you'll need
350g dried spaghetti (try wholemeal for a healthier option)
125g streaky bacon, snipped
1tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 egg, plus 2 yolks
50g parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
Salt & Pepper
1 large sauce pan
How to do it
1. Boil the pasta in a large pan of salted water
2. Add olive oil to frying pan and fry bacon for a few minutes until golden and crisp. Add garlic, fry for 1 more minute and turn off the heat.
3. Lightly whisk egg and yolks with most of the grated parmesan. Add little salt and pepper.
4. Drain pasta reserving some of the cooking water.
5. Add eggs and 1 spoon of cooking water to pasta and mix until pasta is coated and creamy. Stir in the bacon and garlic then serve topped with the remaining parmesan and chopped parsley.