What we're making
Hidden Veg Versatile Sauce - this sauce is easy to make, contains 5 hidden vegetables, and can be used a base for all sorts of recipes. Uses a grater to finely prepare all the veg but can be blended if you prefer a smoother sauce. Makes a great pizza base, casserole base and sauce for your favourite pasta shapes. Make double and freeze for another day.
What you'll need
2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 large carrot, grated
1 small courgette, grated
1 stalk of celery, grated
2 handfuls of mushrooms, finely chopped
1 500g box of tomato passata
2 tbsp tomato puree
1tsp dried mixed herbs
Salt & Pepper
How to do it
1. Grate and chop all the veggies into a mixing bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the veggies until golden and slightly translucent.
3. Add the herbs, passata, tomato puree, salt & pepper.
4. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 mins.
5. Serve with pasta, grated cheese and a crunchy side salad.