What we're making
Curried Mackerel Rice - A great way for your kids to try oily fish! This recipe uses tinned mackerel so is budget friendly and makes a quick and delicious after school meal. Serves 4.Try adding sliced boiled eggs on top!
What you'll need
Olive oil, for frying
I onion, sliced into half moons
100g broccoli, chopped into small florets
2 tins of mackerel fillets, drained
2 x packets of microwave wholegrain rice
1 tbsp curry powder
Handful of curry powder
Handful of flaked almonds (optional)
Plain yogurt, to serve
Frying pan x 2
How to do it
1. Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 5 mins and drain.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion for 5 mins until soft. Add the broccoli and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Fry for a further 3-5 mins. Add the drained mackerel to the pan and gently flake with a fork.
3. Cook the rice in the microwave according to packet instructions.
4. Add the rice and curry powder to the pan and turn up the heat, frying for 2 mins while stirring. Add 2 tablespoons of cold water. picking up all the spices from the bottom of the pan and making the mixture a bit looser. Mix well.
5. Place the flaked almonds in a separate frying plan and lightly toast for 2 mins. Serve the rice sprinkled with the toasted almonds and some plain yogurt on the side.